Friday, August 9, 2013

"We write words we can't say"


"O captain! My captain!" 

 I recently watched 'Dead Poets Society' and totally fell in love with it. Made me fall so much more in love with poetry and the English language itself.

Some things I managed to pick up from the movie;


  • We often tell people to see the world through our eyes, but how often do we sit down and think that maybe sometimes, some things are meant to be seen through the heart. 


  • Stand up for what we want; for what we are. 


  • Don't lose to conformity. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean we have to string along with it. 
 Best of all, Dead Poets Society taught me to keep balance; between realism and romanticism. Heck, if we were all realists, where would all the hopeless romantics go in this world?

 I totally lost myself in the movie. The poems used, the poets described, I really literally wanted to actually be in the movie so I could actually learn from Keating.

“We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. So medicine, law, business, engineering... these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love... these are what we stay alive for.” 
 And I save the best for last;

“If you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - Carpe - hear it? – Carpe, Carpe Diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.” 

Carpe Diem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment